Tuesday 15 January 2013

"Belgian woman drove 10,000 miles across Eurasia as she followed broken GPS instead of 300 yards to the corner shop"

From The Daily Mail:

A Belgian woman took an astonishing 10,000 mile detour through a dozen countries after her car navigation system went wrong.

Sabine Moreau, 67, had intended to pop to her local shop in Brussels - a journey of just 300 yards. But she took hundreds of catastrophic wrong turns and eventually ended up 5,000 miles away in Beijing, China.

Despite crossing at least a dozen borders and seeing multiple-language traffic signs, she did not stop to question her sat-nav until a month later when she realised that she was in Tiananmen Square. Although she stopped to refuel her car a couple of dozen times, Ms Moreau did not think her TomTom could be leading her down the wrong path.

"I saw all kinds of traffic signs. First in French, then in German, then gibberish and then the letters didn't even make sense any more," she told a Belgian news website. "But I didn't ask myself any questions. I was just distracted, so I kept my foot down." she added.

Police believe she crossed through France, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Moldova, Russia, Kazakhstan before finally getting to Beijing.

"The funny thing is," she giggled, "By the time I got back, I'd forgotten what it was I originally wanted to get from the shop.

1 comments:

Old BE said...

I doubt it!

The best one I've heard of was the England fans at the 2006 World Cup who went to the wrong Frankfurt and only realised their mistake a few minutes before kick-off.

BE