Friday 30 March 2012

Is it just me..?

From the BBC:

A fire service spokesman said: "Her daughter asked her mum for petrol because she had run out. The [gas] cooker was on and the fumes ignited."

Station manager Lee Smith, whose Acomb crew attended the fire, said: "The people were cooking their tea and dispensing petrol from a container to a glass jug. The vapour then ignited, the jug was then spilt which obviously ignited as well and the person involved in the decanting was consumed by the flames. Her daughter phoned 999 and was obviously extremely distressed."

6 comments:

Physiocrat said...

Natural selection at work?

Woman on a Raft said...

I blame the government.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I remember a time when people just knew that petrol is extremely flammable and you don't even have it in the house, let alone decant it next to a naked flame. What's happening to us all?

The fun will start for the government when someone's house burns down because they were storing 150 litres of petrol in a rainwater butt in the garage (or something similarly stupid) and the fire brigade refuse to go near it because it's too dangerous, then the insurance company cancels cover on the basis of contributory negligence or some such.

There are some very dim people in the Cabinet, I regret to have to acknowledge.

Woodsy42 said...

But I feel very sorry for the neighbours!

James Higham said...

Darwin.

Graeme said...

I love to breathe petrol fumes while cooking. I like to top up my fuel tank with the occasional pint of petrol.