Friday 20 August 2010

Friday night gear change

Another one from Shania Twain, "You win my love", which is the third truck driver's gear-change song I have featured from her Greatest Hits compilation.

It all lumbers along pleasantly enough until about two and half minutes in, at which stage they could have drawn a halt to the proceedings or faded it out or something, but nope. They tack on short but delightful guitar solo, an uninspiring middle eight and another verse, at the end of which (at 3 minutes 29 seconds in), something terrible happens and they merrily finish off the song a whole tone higher:

6 comments:

Duncan Stott said...

Jeeze, that's one of the worst gear changes you've ever featured. This milk next to me just curdled.

"an uninspiring middle eight"... How did you find any of it inspiring?

Mark Wadsworth said...

DS, I quite like Shania. Nice pop songs, nice teeth, absolutely deliciously awful gear changes. Sorry for ruining your milk.

Witterings from Witney said...

Mw, never really understood this "gear change" thingy - we talking about a change of key?

And Shania Twain - one can only say 'Mark' the difference compared to Dolly P! And she only had two 'gear changes'.

Just don't tell me you can 'read' music like you read a set of accounts - please?

Some people, lucky so and sos - are 'over-endowed' with talent!

Mark Wadsworth said...

WFW, a gear change is just a totally unnecessary and grating upwards key change inserted into a song to try and 'liven it up'.

And, no I can't read music (I could twenty years ago) and I'm not particularly musical, but I've trained myself to be on the look-out for them.

James Higham said...

Shania Thrice? Well, what can one expect of her?

Anonymous said...

"Something terrible happens" - quite!, it's as if the band didn't quite all remember it was coming up.

AVI