Monday 24 May 2010

The "Freedom Bill"

The ConDem coalition agreement reckons "the British state has become too authoritarian", promises to "roll back state intrusion" and proposes a "Freedom Bill" to repeal unwanted labour legislation.

Well, in a few weeks, Business Minister Edward Davey is going to have the results of this consultation in his red box. It will more than likely recommend that his department enact regulations empowering local government officers to fine businesses thousands of pounds without the hassle of having to prove anything in court.

Will he do it? Or will the 'Freedom Bill' repeal the sections of the Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act 2008 that allows for local government regulators to bypass the judiciary? Bets?

3 comments:

Mark Wadsworth said...

I hope 'yes', I bet 'no'.

Steven_L said...

It's a funny one. Pre-election the tories supported RES and the LBRO quango it spawned.

Now Cleggy has made a lot of noises that would make implementing this plan politically dangerous.

I reckon it'll get kicked into the long grass during the cuts at BIS myself, then come back proposing the powers for the OFT only.

Dick Puddlecote said...

I met Davey in 2009. He was a good sort when he came to my place (decent voting record too, has to be said). I don't suppose I'll be afforded such a meet now he's 'in vogue' though.

If he tries to fine my business I'll threaten to tell the story of how he begged for a picture for his campaign literature. ;-)