Saturday 24 October 2009

Missing beats round (3)

Van Halen's "Outta love again" came up on my iPod on the way home yesterday, and I noticed that there's a beat missing just before the chorus starts. Scroll forward to 43 seconds in and start counting:

Said that you are leaving, I don't (4 beats)
wanna hear that talk (4 beats)
Stare at disbelief in me, as (4 beats)
I just up and walk (4 beats)
Outta love (without backing vocals, 3 beats)
[new riff] (without singing, 4 beats)
Outta love (with backing vocals, 4 beats, from here on it continues in 4/4)...

6 comments:

Witterings from Witney said...

MW,

On a personal note...

My knowledge of 'beats in a bar' is even less than my knowledge of economics......

So can you please stick to economics?

James Higham said...

It must make listening interesting that, Mark.

BTS said...

I'm not sure which is more disturbing - the fact that you have Van Halen on your iPod or that you admit to it in public..

silicone breast implants said...

Its interesting I enjoy it very much. thanks for this clip.

HeartAttackSurvivor said...

Try Cream's "Deserted Cities of the Heart" - 4 beats, 4 beats, 3 beats, 4 beats. I've known drummers give up their sticks for ever after trying that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xBIO3RjIXE

Mark Wadsworth said...

HAS, that is genius! I'll add that to the series.

(as an aside, my first wife sat down at a drum kit one evening for a laugh. A fortnight later she was busily jamming along to 'The Crunge". She reckoned it was easy, you just have to count so many bars of eight, then so many of ten, a couple of nines and you're back to square one. Damn her eyes).