Saturday 27 December 2008

Instant carma

What puzzles me about driving a car is that although I am normally one of the most impatient people alive, I get the opposite of road rage. Once I'm behind the wheel, music on, cigarette in hand*, a strange inner peace descends over me, which insulates me against all but the very worst 'traffic calming measures' that e.g. the London Borough of Waltham Forest** can throw at me.

* I'm not sure if this is still legal. It will certainly take the fun out of it when they ban it. I open the windows if the kids are in the car, honest.

** It's a good job I live out in Essex now.

4 comments:

RantinRab said...

Drivers who fail to signal when turning off a roundabout deserve to be beaten to death with a bottle. In my opinion!

marksany said...

They've turned off the traffic lights off at the A1089 which has drastically improved traffic flow.

Moved to Essex eh? With you, me and OH living here, it is turning into a bloggers' paradise.

Mark Wadsworth said...

RCN, I am a considerate raod user and always indicate. But I have a sense of humour so I sometiems indicate right before I turn off.

MA, turning them off nearly always improves traffic flow. It's heaven (relatively speaking) once you're past the Green Man though.

Anonymous said...

"But I have a sense of humour so I sometiems indicate right before I turn off."

Aha! <>You're<> the one! (or twenty, actually, in my neck of the woods...). ;)