Friday 19 December 2008

Anthea Turner caught with knickers around her ankles!

This story will run and run. My personal highlights are:

FORMER TV golden girl Anthea Turner last night sobbed as she revealed she’s lost an astonishing £100 MILLION in the credit crunch. The Perfect Housewife presenter told how her husband Grant Bovey’s buy-to-let empire had collapsed, and wept: "Our backs are against the wall — we may even lose our mansion."*

... Anthea told us of her fears for the future. "I’ll be 50 in 18 months’ time and now I don’t even know whether we can keep our home," she said. "The property industry has been caught with its knickers around its ankles."

She and Grant revealed they are "very seriously considering downsizing"** from their £5 million Surrey mansion in a 57-acre estate complete with £100,000 polo field, stables full of horses and a £500,000 tennis court with pavilion and floodlights.


* "Let them eat cake!"

** I am sure that the bank will be happy to nudge them along.

Via Anti Citizen One.

6 comments:

Lola said...

My heart bleeds. Not. I bet it was £100m gross and £1m net equity.

Anonymous said...

Is there some sort of fund we can contribute to to help Anthea through the hard times? I've holding on to some cash that was recently raised for orphans in Darfur but I think the donors would understand if I donated it to the people's lotto presenter.

Vindico said...

My Dad was reading a similar article in the paper with glee. He bought the Express just for it (http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/75789/Anthea-s-lost-millions). He was chuckling and working himself into a frenzy in delight.
I feel so sorry that she might lose her mansion.

My favourite bit from the Express article, however, was this quote...

“We have had to re-evaulate our lives, I don’t think a £5million mansion makes you happy,” she said. And she added that she was concerned about the knock-on effect for others of their financial woes.

“Those people who moan about you driving around in your nice big car are forgetting that the guy who washes the car now hasn’t got a job or who did the maintenance on it,” she declared

Mark Wadsworth said...

L, factor in a 20% fall in values, that makes Nequity of £19 million.

R, you could offer her £11,000 for a few sofas, I suppose. Or offer to wash her limousine.

V, did he say "working" or "w**king"?

neil craig said...

We may even lose our £5 million mansion.

Doh the humanity.

I don't mind the rich saying that when the poor want more they are just being greedy, but then they shoudln't winge themselves when down to the last Bentley.

Bill Quango MP said...

Its not fair that the likes of Jaguar's billionaires are bailed out yet OrdinaryHardWorkingFamilies like this are left to fend for themselves.
Why won't the government act to save them?