Saturday 17 May 2008

"Plastic bag policy 'a diversion'"

Wherein this advisor chappy admits that plastic bags are the least of our worries, which any sane person has known for a long time.

What annoys me is this insistence that plastic bags "take about 1,000 years to decay."

That is a Big Fat Lie, or a wild guess at best, what is the oldest plastic bag they've ever found? In any event, plastic bags burn quite nicely in incinerators, if getting rid of them physically is a problem. Or we can make them out of bio-degradable plastic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's annoying, but by throwing this bone to the greenies to chase it might keep them off our backs a little longer.

I've managed to save up four carrier bags full of carrier bags which are now hanging up in my garage, and I am looking forward to flaunting them in the faces of the greenies over future years after the carrier bag is finally driven to extinction.

Anonymous said...

Good point, John. I occasionally have a clear out of carrier bags but perhaps I should store them as a useful resource that is soon to be irreplaceable. I can see myself bringing them back from trips abroad.

Mark, in my experience, I'd dug up some pretty old bags but they're shredded. They may not biodegrade but they are not invulnerable so they get physically, if not biologically, battered into pieces so small that no sensible person would worry about them. Besides, I'm sure there is some bacteria we can modify (and no doubt already have) to eat through old plastics if need be. If one can eat through concrete, there has gotta be.

Bill Quango MP said...

Mrs BQ, who works in a charity shop asked a customer if she needed a bag to carry her purchase home.

"Plastic bags are obscene, I will not shop anywhwere that uses them"

Mrs BQ tried to explain that the bag came from Tesco and was merely being 'recycled'. Put to a use, rather going to waste.

"Plastic bags are destroying our planet. I will never use them.You should be ashamed."

So there you are. Plastic bags users are the new smokers.