Friday 21 December 2007

Quick! Do something!

Some bastard got a letter printed in today's Metro as follows:

"In response to why not many Britons support being in Europe - it has more to do with the nasty national trait of xenophobia and the tabloids playing off this than any analysis of benefits ... the EU treaty is not about signing our freedoms away - and what would be the point of holding a referendum that will only prove how gullible tabloid readers really are? We already know this, Simon Foster, Birmingham"

The Metro always publish a fair cross-section of views, so if you have a couple of minutes, try sending your rebuttal of the above crap to mail@ukmetro.co.uk, not forgetting your name, address and daytime 'phone number!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that annoyed you too! With a foreign girlfriend, foreign friends and many years happily spent living in foreign lands, my dislike of the EU is obviously due to my tabloid-inspired xenophobia. The bloody cheek of it.

Mark Wadsworth said...

PT, I am half-German, I feel as sorry for them as I do for us.

Newmania said...

Well I would`t say I dislike foreigners exactly but I `m perfectly happy to identify overwhelmingly with my own country. That letter is not chilling because of the attitudes it imputes to possible no votes. Far worse is the thought anyone in that position does not "deserve a vote" because they are too stupid.

This , of course , is exactly what Heath did think , and exactly what many EU nuts think


Great find ....must pop in more often

Newmania said...

PS...sorry about the blot in your genealogy , I am pure bred English..( wifes roots are in Trinidad though so that buggers up the purity a bit )