Friday 23 November 2007

Kevin Johnson 1985* - 2007

His killers were today sentenced to 'life', which means they'll be out in 13 to 17 years at the latest, no doubt minus time off for 'good behaviour'.

As Kevin's father said, " ... life to me should mean life and they should come out of prison in a box".

I 100% oppose the death penalty - it's barbaric and there's always the chance you execute somebody who is innocent - but the "life means life" policy, as costed out in my previous post, seems like an affordable, sensible policy to me.

* I hope I have caused no offence if I am a year out on Kevin's date of birth.

4 comments:

Scott Freeman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Freeman said...

It bothers me a little when people say "life should mean life" because it is so arbitrary. A life sentence is just a legal term for "a sentence that comes with the caveat that you won't be released until you have a) served the sentence and b) are no longer felt to be a threat to the public" with B making it different to other sentences.

I'm sure there are people who get life sentences but who do not deserve to never be released and equally people who don't get life sentences but who should never be released.

I say justice should be justice, not life should be life.

CatWoman said...

OMG I had no idea that these shits got out in 17 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap! In the U.S. Life means life or at least 35 years if you were in a mental state.

Mark Wadsworth said...

CW, in our country, life can mean as little as five or ten. If you read the article to which I linked, you'll note that the family say they were relieved that the perp's even got as long as 13 - 17.